Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sphinx Sweater - Done!




 SO CUTE! And finally done!
 

I love this sweater, but it took so much effort to complete. It also represents a few firsts for me.

The inspiration for this sweater, which I'm only barely willing to admit, is actually from a scyfi novel I was reading called Cryoburn. A minor detail in the story are genetic engineers that make house-cat sized sphinxes with little human faces and everything.

Combine that with some deep thought about new products for my Etsy shop and here's what you get. A toddler sized, sphinx sweater.

Once it was in my head, it had to be done. I found some beautiful wool in gold and cream. And yes, that is Fun Fur (my second first) for the mane and tail.

I started with designing the color work pattern for the wings, and my first First. I had never finish a project with any kind of color work other than strips, but I'm very happy with my results here. I sketched out one side, then traced it onto a personalized grid. I just did the mirror image for the other wing in my head as I knit. Try as I might, I have not been able to find online generator where I got my grid. I knew I should have bookmarked that! But I know there are many other programs out there that will do the same thing.

I knit sweaters from the neck down with raglan sleeves because that is the best way. Seriously. It's so easy, there is minimal finishing (no sewing!), you can try it on as you go, and it produces the most universally flattering fit. You do have to go back later to finish the sleeves, but I consider that a small price to pay.

The tail is an I cord with a cone shaped end. The hood (another first) I picked up off the top of the neck. After it was done I added on the ears and picked up stitches along the edge for the mane.

And finally I come to my last first, the zipper. I've done a few other zippers before, but never in a hand knit. I was really nervous sewing it in after the months of work I put into all the other details of this sweater. But it turned out perfectly. I couldn't be more happy with the results of this project. In fact, I almost don't want to put it up for sale.

Just kidding.

No comments:

Post a Comment